What is your username? RexIgnis
Are you an admin on the wiki you are asking about? Yes
Please link to the wiki (or the specific templates or pages you want help with) here: http://magician.wikia.com
What would you like help with (e.g. styling or making an infobox or page portable)? Infobox labeled as non-portable in insights. It was portable until recently.
Any other information (e.g. links, screenshots, or snippets): http://magician.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Chapter_Box
In order to ensure you can implement and maintain a Mentoring solution, how would you classify your technical (in CSS, Templates, and Infoboxes) skill level (or those of whomever will be maintaining your Templates)? Extensive experience in all three
==The real solution==
Most of currently used templates on wikia build their structure through html-tables. The new portable infoboxes do not use tables for information-structuring anymore. What you really have to do is:
- rethink in which cell-structure your current infobox-template is and how the new infobox-syntax can recreate it (first: datafields; second: groups (with horizontal or vertical layout) around them)
- everything has to be encapsuled in the new tags
- if you still want to use html for some stuff it needs to be inside a format-tag (inside a data-tag, inside a infobox-tag)
- everything html-styling-related has to go into your css and linked to that infobox through its theme-tag (<infobox theme="marineinfo"> fits to the corresponding css-classes used in here http://alienswarm.wikia.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Wikia.css)
Here is an example how I did it on my wiki:
- this is how the infobox looked with table layout http://alienswarm.wikia.com/wiki/Template:MarineInfo?oldid=14547
- and this is how the same information is recreated in the new infobox-syntax http://alienswarm.wikia.com/wiki/Template:MarineInfo
@portable until recently: You can fake a template to be compatible by getting it through the convert-wizard but this will only hold on for about 24 hours, at that point the insights-function will have reparsed your template and will have it remarked as not beeing compatible since the code is not encapsulated in the new tags.
@fixed soon: There is nothing to be fixed about that, the 'real bug' is your infobox-code, the only broken thing on wikia-side here is the convert-wizard making you think you created something compatible. The wizard seems to be unable to parse at the same compatibility-level as the insights-feature itself. Btw: not once it happend to me (while converting my ~30 templates) that the wizard produced something useful, it always just deleted most of the characters on the page and gave me an empty infobox-template-code which was useless-in-the-whole. Forget that wizard (I am sorry).
It has been labeled portable for months before breaking. I didn't use the infobox converter to generate it. Based on your response, I'm assuming you didn't look at the linked infobox. I manually created the template. It's no longer listed under non-portable (with no changes), so I'm going to assume that it is indeed a bug.